11-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #19
Kiwi6
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive 28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilverland View Post
You can in fact use 17" wheels, as I did on my 35i. They are cheaper and lighter and the corresponding tires are cheaper. Consider getting not-run-flat tires and a compressor and some sealant. I run not-run-flats year round. Ride better, lighter, cheaper. I found a chart somewhere online that lists all the allowed sizes - getting the correct offset is important. Then get a tire size that has the same outside diameter as you OEM tires. Tire Rack, and good retailers can help you with all this.
Thanks for this!

I'm a big fan of dedicated snow tires in the winter! That said, I went all last winter with my then new-to-me 2016 X3 28d with the Goodyear all seasons. I'm looking to change that for this winter season.

Originally I'd been planning on 18" for my dedicated snow tires, but my wheel guy suggested 17" last week. I saw elsewhere that some 17" may not clear the brake calipers. Anybody had any issues with that? Other opinions on 17" or 18"?

Also, I have been on the fence but leaning to run-flats. Any opinions on pro/con (other than price and availability of tires)?

Thanks!
-Steve
Appreciate 0