pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
I would not use ceramic brakes. If you don't like the stopping power of regular brakes, you will hate the stopping power of ceramics.
About 6-7 years ago I went with Akebono on my defunct 5 series. The wheels looked great - didn't need to clean them, but braking was horrendous. I thought I had toy brakes.
Plus: No brake dust, clean wheels forever, takes a loooong time for the pads to wear out
Cons: no braking power

This is my experience, others might tell otherwise.
But brakes that don't leave any dust (great!!!) and take forever to wear out = no brakes.

I have been running Akebono on both my 2007 Z4 ///M coupe and 2001 E39 for over 5 years. They have plenty of stopping power and very low dust. I agree they don't have the same initial bite as OEM pads, but for me, they have plenty of stopping power, plus my car and wheels stay way cleaner.

I'm not sure why they didn't have much stopping power for you? Maybe they were not bedded in properly? Maybe they were a defective set? My experience has been very positive with them. When my X3 needs pads, I'll probably use Akebono and I hope I don't have the same low stopping power experience as you did with them.
Appreciate 0