Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnaggs View Post
I would agree with you that nothing feels like the M57 diesel, especially once tuned but in comparison to our 2018 cx-9 with the sky active turbo, this thing feels like a turd! Mind you the 2.5T skyactive does make 10ftlbs more peak torque than the 35i engine, but 70hp less! Yes the cx-9 is technically a fwd, so less drivetrain loss compared to the x-drives, but I would assume the cx-9 to weigh a good bit more.

I hooked up torque pro and looked at boost just now. @ 3-4k rpm’s it makes around 7ish psi and then slowly increases boost to just over 9 with a peak to 9.6 psi but that is around 5-7k rpm’s. Is this typical boost behavior??? I am assuming this year (‘17) is a EWG engine? Will have to look into that, if so, than it probably wouldn’t suffer from bad turbo control solenoids etc.
Well, remember the mazdas have that linear acceleration input/output ratio, so like every other cheap junker on the road, a little tap on the gas and the car wants to leap forward, FWD makes it feel alot "faster" as it is more jerky. I am going to attribute this situation to the fact that the mazda has that toy car feeling and gives that much faster feel than actually going fast. Now, I have no experience with a diesel so cant speak to it, but based on what I have heard from others, diesel feels wayy faster than a petrol because torque. It is one thing to "feel" like you are going fast, and its another to actually go fast and feel it.

In my N55 which is theoretically faster than my N54, it feels slow, sluggish and uninspiring, but is actually going faster than the N54. The N54 feels like its a fucking F1 car on crack, but its actually going slower than the N55.

So, call your Mazda the N54 and the X3 the N55 and it all makes sense. My '18 CX-3 is such a piece of shit, feels like its going super fast, but I know its going nowhere fast lol. Their throttle setup is designed to give you the illusion of speed.

Do you work on your own cars? If not, then just take it to your shop or service center and let them diagnose the issue. btw, pics of the X3? lets see this thing with 25k miles!!