Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
I think people here are confusing "nice to look at" versus "functional."

Have you actually tried to do anything on the MBUX interface (particularly while driving)? I'm an IT guy by trade and have worked with dozens of end-user system in my life and I really struggled to figure out how to use the system. Everything is buried 3 or 4 layers deep in a menu system. The "hey Mercedes" sometimes helps with that, but not always. Try to get the top-down camera on a new GLE or GLS to come on when you are are trying to avoid curbing your rims while parking. Unless you are already in reverse, there is no quick and easy way to do it.

On a BMW, you just press the camera button on the center console area, even if you are still moving forward. Yeah, it doesn't look as pretty, but you can get something done in a second without having to stop and take your eyes off the road to do it.

The newest Audi system is similar with all the touchscreen based stuff and no more hard buttons. Yeah it looks nice, but it is much more difficult to do things with.

When you have to take your eyes off the road to perform the simple tasks that you do multiple times during a drive session (climate control, media/radio, seat heating/ventilation, etc) that is a huge safety issue and a complete failure of user interface design.

save the touchscreens/menu systems for the rarely used functions. You know, the set it once and forget it things. Make sure there are quick shortcuts or better yet actual physical buttons on either the steering wheel, dash, or console (that can be found via muscle memory or tactile feedback) for the commonly used functions like HVAC controls, volume controls, etc.

Considering how distracted most of our drivers are already, we don't need to add even more distractions to the list.

iDrive still is the most functional of the 3 systems, though I do feel that BMW is starting to lose its way with iDrive 7. Due to marketing pressure (like many of the folks here talking about 7's superiority versus iDrive 6) they are trying to make the system "prettier" at the cost of functionality and ease-of-use.
+1 ID7 may have some functional advantages, however I still prefer the look of ID6. So much so, I would be willing to sacrifice said functional advantages
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0