Thread: F90 M5 or X4M
View Single Post
      10-27-2020, 09:34 PM   #17
calbear550
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2020 X4MC (retired)

Oh man, where do I start. Before the X4MC I owned a e60 550i, f10 550i, f06 650i GC, and a MB e550 Coupe. So you can see I've enjoyed V8s. The X4MC just didn't have enough low end torque to make it a smooth rider when you weren't running and gunning. When I did drive it spirited, it felt like a VERY stable and QUICK car for its size and ride height. But in LA, you not doing a lot of the latter.

Suspension just didn't work for me. Its way too stiff. I know a lot of owners like it that way and came from M3/M4's I didn't. My GF had a 15 911 GTS and it felt as stiff as that, but even worse cause of it's ride height. After a year, sharp bumps and dips just made everything rattle. Just not enough insulation and quality. The same roads I've driven in my other BMWs had muted, muffled bangs and thuds. The X4MC was very loud, "rattley" and jarring after a year.

Trunk space on the X4MC was lacking. Unlike the X3, the sloping roof prevented using the space efficiently. Even when taking out the roof deck and window cover. Had to drop the seats down frequently which I thought I wouldn't do with the car.

So pretty much the powerband and suspension just killed it for me. I'm getting better gas mileage in my M5 because I don't have to be in sport plus mode d2 to be able to move the car at a whim. And I had MSS springs, and KW's would probably make the ride better, but the chassis stiffness might not ever allow it to get to a level of comfort I want. AND with this car, you're likely going to get some sort of creaking, wear, popping at some point. And if you do decide to add some springs, coilovers for comfort, I can guarantee the dealership will always blame any sound, issue, wear on that mod. No thanks.

So after a year, couldn't imagine what I would be another year later. Used car market is great now, and it happened to be a situation when my lease buy out was equal to what my trade in was valued. So decided to get out without incurring a loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
In what areas did the F98 fail to meet your expectations? Can’t go wrong with the “OG’ ///M5
Appreciate 2