10-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #30
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
Pretty much right. I didn't tap the tubing, just threw a nut inside of it to thread into for the new 'cooler. I angle cut the ends of the tubing. Longer on top, shorter on bottom, to give access to the original mounting holes on the core support on the chassis.

I had to hack up the rubber seal a fair amount, mostly at the sides where the end tanks are. I overdid it a little just to get the damn thing to squeeze in there. It made pretty good contact, but I resealed it all with 3M Blue plastic exterior duct/paint tape to ensure good air flow. It's my favorite new tape.

BTW, my Phoenix intercooler, while virtually identical, is just okay in terms of performance. Far better than stock, of course, but it still tracks 10* to 20* over ambient and will climb 30* to 40* over a long, hard pull to 120 or 130mph. It cools down pretty quickly, fortunately, but I imagine I'll be spraying meth at some point to compensate. If I had to purchase again, I'd get an ER Competition, I think.
Ok yeah angle cuts, I understand. Pretty simple. I have some metric rivnuts in a box somewhere that I used on my Nissan I think I'll use for mine for the center. I think I'm going to make a straight clean cut across the plastic a few inches forward of the intercooler and remount it back by drilling some holes through it and using the same screws that the undertray has. I'm trying to keep it easy to service in the future.

So are you running a BM3? I took a good look at these new FTP Motorsports boost and charge pipes I have and I'm really concerned about the boost pipe. The stock one has rubber bellows for flexing and the FTP one does not. The only flex point would be the silicone coupler at the turbo which is basically nothing. The factory put those bellows in there for a reason so I may just put the charge pipe on.
Appreciate 0