View Single Post
      05-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I have been trying to do this workout thing by myself for a year now and have minimal success. For me I am trying to gain weight. Always have been slim. Im 2 weeks in and have made some really solid gains(nothing crazy obv). My eating habits have done a complete 180 and so has my workout routines.
GOLFFRR, I happened upon your thread for reasons you can probably guess, and could not help but read your original post. I am curious what it is that makes you feel you need to gain weight? I ask because I too am very slender but I don't feel compelled to change my physique at all. And to be clear, I'm not questioning your decision to pursue weight gain, I am just genuinely curious, that's all.

I don't want to be the guy to douche this thread up by posting #s, so I won't. Hopefully I don't douche it up worse by trying to avoid that though. (Like you, I typically don't share a lot of personal detail about myself on BimmerPost)

In my case I am reasonably tall (noticeably over 6'), have pretty low body fat (no visible body fat), and currently weigh considerably less than those who would perhaps be seen as the stereotypical athlete of my height would weigh. By stereotypical, I mean like a fitness model you'd see in a Nike clothing ad. In fact, I probably weigh a good 15%-20% less than a college basketball forward or college football wide receiver would weigh in at. I use college rather than pro because obviously the pro guys have ridiculous amounts of money spent on their fitness and physique so they are the exception. Even college athletes have insane resources at their disposal too, but I think there are other factors like time (time to dedicate, time in program, time spent so far on the planet for that matter) that limit things. Just my personal SWAG-ish way of measuring. Another data point - and maybe easier to relate to - when I watch American Ninja Warrior (because how can you not? ), I am typically about 10 lbs. less than the lightest (read: the ones who have a chance at winning ) guys at my height.

For more background, my athletic activity consists of triathlons (Olympic distance or less - not an IRONMAN guy and have no desire to be), all the necessary training for those, yoga (because flexiblity and balance had become major limiters of performance at my age), Orangetheory Fitness, and other things like the occasional visit to the climbing wall or even Crossfit gym.

I have no illusions that I am Superman, but I am not afraid to say that I see myself as being in peak physical shape with a very balanced physique. Sure, I could probably stand to put on more muscle, but then it would probably only slow me down. Furthermore, I don't feel like I am currently limited by lack of muscle mass. Quite the opposite in fact. Plus, I have a very small waist size for my height, so in many ways I think of myself as a 5'8" guy who just happens to have some extra length. In other words, If you take a guy that size who is fit and has what most would see as very healthy muscle mass, and simply add some length to his arms, legs, torso without upsizing other dimensions, that's what I think of myself as.

Just throwing out my thoughts, hoping to offer a different perspective. No matter what your goals, for me its just good to hear that others treat their bodies well and understand the importance of physical fitness.

Take care.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10807.50