Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoDoc View Post
Thank you for sharing those points. Did either of you use Rheingold software with a K+DCAN cable to monitor transmission temps? Also was curious to know if the hidden menu in the dash has transmission fluid temps?

I almost have everything to do the job, just not a scan tool and am debating on picking up the full Rheingold software with a K+DCAN cable from Bimmergeeks.
I have a copy of ISTA/D (aka Rheingold) that I used (with a ENET cable - which is required for FXX series cars). You don't need to pay a 3rd party for the software (since it is all BMW proprietary anyway) if you are willing to do a bit of legwork - Google is your friend here.

Regarding the procedure, the temperature monitoring is built into the procedure in ISTA. I will not let you proceed unless you reach the required temperature at the appropriate step. The trick is to be familiar with the procedure and have everything pre-staged so that you can execute the procedure efficiently since it is really easy to blow past the very narrow temperature windows when the car is running. This happened to me initially.

To execute the procedure efficiently, I actually did a dry run (starting with the car cold) with my car in the driveway on the ground to ensure I could efficiently get through the procedure. Once I was comfortable with the procedure (and when the car was cold again), I had everything pre-staged to execute, to include my oil pumping assembly ready to go, all interference around the oil pan removed, and the fill plug loose. Another recommendation is to do this procedure when ambient temps are cooler (in the Fall/Winter vice Spring/Summer) as a cooler ambient temperature will slow down how fast the car warms up giving you a bit more time to execute the procedure.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0