View Single Post
      03-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #85
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
No doubt the F25 had its issues. The biggest problem were the terrible brakes that was beaten to death in the F25 forums. The 3.0T was a strong competitor but was still outperformed. It was not a base Q5. Despite its flaws, the 35i was the performance standard in class. It was a whale that outperformed everything else. If you include global variations, the 35d was even better.
Yeah, the 3.0TFSI replaced the 3.2 at the Q5's "LCI". It was a 2 year upgrade cycle with the 2.0TFSI updated first and given the ZF8HP and the 3.0TFSI coming the next model year with the ZF8HP. The 2.0TFSI was the base engine in the US, like the 28i and the 3.0TFSI was the upgrade, like the 35i.

Quote:
The Audi Motortrend article was interesting but couldn't find the road test article that they refer to on the 2011 35i (or if they were even talking about a 2011). At the time I think it is safe to say that most "enthusiasts" and car magazines scoffed at the idea of performance SAVs so there wasn't as much information as there is today.

To be fair to both vehicles, they were also much faster than Motortrend's testing. There's plenty of videos where they run 13's. Was the 3.0TFSI even offered in the US? I don't remember.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/x...drive35i-test/

So this was their initial test, Motor Trend was also very good in documenting the throttle lag issue during their long term test of the 28i.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/x...e28i-update-8/

I believe they must have retested the X3 at some point following the updates, but I can't find a review of it.

Quote:
Basically my response was to FSociety on how BMW releases something new and exciting and everyone follows. Arguably, the birth of performance SAVs in 2011 and whatever the X4 is today are just two examples. Here is a cool site that I like to refer to that you can compare vehicles worldwide with charts, graphs and stats galore. It is still a work in progress but it just so happens that the BMW/Audi figures have been recorded and not simulated. Make a chart and check it out. In almost all performance figures, the 35i/35d comes out on top until the SQ5/Macan comes to market in 2013/2014.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/

SAVs that I charted:
2013 Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI (US version)
2012 Audi Q5 3.0 TFSI Quattro Tiptronic (EU only)
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T Quattro (US version)
2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i (US only)
2011 BMW X3 xDrive35d (EU only)

I agree. Great to be an SAV enthusiast today.
I understand and agree that BMW made a great performing CUV in the F25 and that it outperformed its counterparts at release. I just think BMW did what they normally do for a model update with the F25, instead of setting out to make a performance CUV. The SQ5 and Macan were really the first time manufacturers set out to make and market a performance CUV.

Either way, it's about time we're finally getting an X3M.
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00