View Single Post
      07-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #100
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I don't think the ppl doing it even realize it themselves lol. The OP said every 20 mths, so what kinda tech advances take place in that period when placement of cupholders is a big talking pt in this relatively slow-progressing industry? You're not going from a Model T to a Tesla in that period lol.

Ppl don't appreciate cars if switching that often, it's just an accessory for them. Has nothing to do w being rich either. Lots of rich ppl keep cars and there are lots of them that change like underwear also, but look at the demographics and see who are the more enthusiasts of the 2.
20 months is a bit too soon I agree. But still, there are advancements being made all the time. DCT transmissions taking off in 2009 after the GTR arrived, rear wheel steer in the 2014 GT3 was a big hit, carbon fiber tubs in the 2013 McLaren, carbon ceramic brakes replacing steel on some of the late 2000s cars, and now EV cars running faster track times that M cars.

As for who is an enthusiast and who isn't its hard to say. I know guys that, while they don't know much about mechanical stuff and wrenching... buy a new car every couple years and put a ton of miles on it. drive it rain or shine. go to meets and cruises.

And I also know guys who have put less than 10000 miles on their M3 or Rx7 in the last 3-4 years because its always on jack stands needing something fixed, they are always flying out of state working for months, or have new families and don't have time to use it.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00