07-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #98
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
IMO, there are many different ways to be an "enthusiast" and I'm not sure any one way is better than the others....particularly since everyone's circumstances are different. I had a friend (sadly passed from Cancer a couple years ago) with an extensive car collection, like 20 cars - several of which were worth well into the 7 figure mark. These were classic cars from the '60's, mostly low mileage "survivors" and he never drove most of them. I was in his warehouse looking at his stuff and I asked him how one particular car drove....he responded by telling me he had never even sat in that particular car. Many people would rant that if he didn't drive the cars, he wasn't a real "enthusiast" but I disagreed, and still do: he enjoyed collecting, restoring and owning the cars and related memorabilia and the fact he didn't drive them all didn't make him any less of an enthusiast in my eyes. The guy's passion for these cars spanned decades and he spent countless hours searching, doing research and finding rare parts for these cars.....He was a consumate enthusiast IMO...may he RIP.

ps, he obviously had cars he DID drive - last time I saw him he took my son for a ride in his NSX.

Dave
Appreciate 1
10"4974.50