View Single Post
      07-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #90
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
I never said I am the gatekeeper. This is my post and these are MY opinions. Pretty sure there are others who agree.

Not sure if you've ever been enthusiastic about anything but if you have been or are you will know that;

Enthusiasts are after specifics and details. Not all cars are essentially the same just like all watches, cities, foods, cameras, stamps, planes, motorcycles, clothes, fashion, perfumes, toys, books, music, etc etc are the same.

Not sure you understand the difference between enthusiasts who are into the details vs. people who casually enjoy things. In my mind if someone can just lease a car after 1 day of car shopping and then turn it in casually and lease another car 2 years later after 1 day of shopping again that person cannot possibly be an enthusiast. That is a consumer.

It's ok to NOT be an enthusiast. Totally fine. My proposition is that people who are fleetingly into things are not enthusiasts they are just consumers. Nothing wrong with that at all really; but it muddies the waters of motoring culture.
I think we have a communication break down here, because I don't disagree with a lot of what you said here.

A guy buying an M2, driving it for a year or two and then moving on the the next M3, and repeating, isn't the same kind of 'car guy' as what I would call typical.

And when I said "a car is a car", it was a bit hyperbolic. I just mean that you can go drive an FD RX7, fall in love, and then a year later drive a E46M3 and think "Fuck I need this" and repeat the process forever. "The grass is always greener" Some of the details that I look for in a car change over time.

I guess it's just the motivation for WHY people swap the car, and less that they are swapping the car.

I don't swap cars because I want the new cool thing. I swap cars because I just fall in love with a different car sometimes. Automotive monogamy hasn't gotten me yet.