View Single Post
      07-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #82
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Has anyone just plugged in with the cable to the 12 volt socket in the boot (trunk)?

I've just had a quick look and I ran my current cable loosely (4.5m) from the 12 volt socket, (right hand side as I look into the boot) behind along the back of the rear seats (when folded forward, a gap opens up) to the left hand side of the car out of the back of the seat (near the base of the left passenger seat belt) down round the edge of the rear seat and tucked behind the plastic where it meets the carpet. From there is could be tucked under near the the carpet or plastic trim at the side and towards the front passenger seat and then up the a pillar (behind the rubber) across the top of the A pillar and tucked behind the headliner...ready in position for the camera to sit on the left hand side of the windscreen behind the mirror...phew!

Only problem is 4.5 Mtr cable is not long enough. Would need the 5.5 Mtr (which should reach...just). You can buy from Blackvue (photo below).

I have seen another chap run the cable to the centre console in the rear of the car, however I fear my dozy kids or in laws, would kick it out and break it when they occasionally get in the car.

I like the idea of just plugging into the rear boot socket, where it's out of the way, pretty much well hidden and I could just leave it in in place, I know it will switch off shortly after the car does and may decide to hardwire In future, but just looking for an easy fix without getting too technical at the moment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0