05-07-2021, 07:15 AM   #41
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlackDropTop View Post
Hey everyone... new to the community as I just sold my E90 M3 and just got into an X3M. Been reading up on this issue and it doesn't look like a consensus on who is affected. A few questions for the board...

1) Do we think we can correlate % of tint with getting the issue i.e. 35% and lower you get the issue 100% of the time. Are there those who tint and DO NOT get the dimming problem?

2) Clarification on the areas affected: The dash/instrument cluster AND infotainment (including AC control and preset buttons) get dimmed? I was thinking it was infotainment only. I can live with the AC controls as long as I can code the infotainment back to normal, but the dash dimming I'm not sure I can live with.

appreciate any response!
1. This is annoying even without tint, so I don't think it's worth it to go lighter on tint because it won't solve the issue.

2. The gauge cluster, idrive screen, and HVAC control screen all dim. Coding the DIM_VARIANT disables the dimming on the idrive screen only but does help a lot.

It today's litigious world, it's amazing that BMW would actively dim something as important as a gauge cluster during the day. I'm also surprised government regs allow them to do this at all, except at night. I'm not going to be overly dramatic and say it's a safety issue, but there have been times where it's dimmed enough where you legit cannot read it without effort.

Add to the fact that ALL new models do this, and they haven't addressed it at all. And for no benefit - what's the purpose of dimming screens during the day?
Appreciate 1