View Single Post
      08-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #90
skioutwest
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC, 2017 M3ZCP, 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3mcesq View Post
We have highways here also, with curves. And we have 'city style' driving.

We have freezing cold in winter. We have hot summers.

We get snow, but never enough to require snow chains or that can't be plowed in a matter of hours.

I don't think the Conti stock summers would be safe in the brutal cold.

I don't think winter tires would be necessary as we rarely actually need to drive through inches of snow.

So what is wrong with all seasons during our colder months? (As compared to winters). I'm genuinely asking
I think all seasons are perfect for these SUVs. While I agree with other points noted here that there is less grip, these tires are pretty damn close in grip to a summer tire. I would guess 90-95% of the grip of a summer tire. I had these Pilot All Seasons on my E90 M3, which had better low end than these modern engines, and I was shocked how good the grip was. At the end of the day, these are still SUVs, and I think they should come stock with an all-season tire. I get that maybe "at the limit" there is a noticeable difference, but honestly, how often are people tracking these trucks?

Also, the 4S's (or any summer performance tire) are terrible in the cold months (had them on my F80). The compound becomes hard as a rock, and the tires slip easily.

Winters are better if you you get significant snowfall, but here in PA it is pretty rare and an AS tire is a good compromise.

-Mark
Appreciate 0