View Single Post
      06-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
To change the subject to about watches as an investment.
I would guess most new watches will lose value and never gain back or add value.
Yes, Panerai is excellent at introducing and distributing models that dealers sell before getting the inventory but that is ficklel side of the market. The last Panerai collector I talked to said it's pretty much B.S. with Panerai now.
Now since China and Russia ( not sure about Gulf States ) dealers are sitting on inventory seems like a bubble has burst.
Rolex & Patek are a special case but the rare of those brands cause the auction bonanza.
MB&F and the quarter million dollar stuff is collector territory and don't know that they resell well.
Twenty-thousand is a weird price point for watches - usually gold and in-house-movement - pretty much run of the mill Patek, that'll never turn a profit?
If your a collector and buy a bunch of stuff, maybe you'll posses a future collectible, really the whim of the market and very hard to predict. Really the Daytona is a freak in how it became notorious, how many could have predicted?
Curious what others think ?
BTW I'm looking forward to the Bulova Curv so I'm not writing from experience.
You almost need to look at watches like cars. If you buy new, you will lose money most times. But if you buy used, you wont and can potentially make some money.

I havent bought a new watch in years now. Through ebay and the watch forums and a few other online retailers, you can find used watches for great prices. And the best thing is, the used prices dont really go down unless there is an influx of inventory. I bought an Omega and Tag last year used in great condition for the same price, if not a little less, than what I can turn around and sell them for today. And Ive had my eye on an AP that everytime I see it pop up used, its the same price as the last time.

BTW, that Bulova Curv looks pretty sweet.
Appreciate 0