View Single Post
      06-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

If the idea is buy the expensive watch before the wedding because as a couple it would never fly is a horrible idea. Once wedding plans are made I would expect both would look at really big purchases together before moving forward with them. If you can reasonably afford it and both are ok with it then great.

Quote:
Who among you would buy a high-end watch before you have other major financial events in your life covered: e.g. wedding, children, home purchased, retirement account established and regularly funded, education, car, etc. Where does a high-end watch fit in terms of priority?
I would put a $20k watch below all of them (would laugh at the guy wearing a $20k watch that can't afford to buy a house, maybe saving for his gold teeth?) and if you are going to say it is a good investment then make sure you add in insurance every year, any repairs and a decent % of return, not "I bought it for $20k and 20 years later sold it for $30k when my son was headed to college" when a good investment would be worth $80k (less than 8% return).