View Single Post
      05-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
curveball2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive 28i

check engine light on and scanner gives no codes

Check engine light remains on (steady, not flashing) on my 2015 X3 x28i and Foxwell NT510 shows no codes, sort of. Battery tested and in good condition.

When I use the generic OBD setting on the scanner I get a code for “Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak).” code: P0456/$07E8. The gas filler cap is snug.

When I use the “BMW” setting with software installed on the scanner I get NO codes. I am concerned that the scanner never can recognize my car with its initial VIN search, so I have to either input the VIN manually (tedious) or do a manual setup by choosing X3 F25 setting.

I don’t know if this is pertinent to the “check engine” light problem: When I go to “Main Groups” in the scanner’s BMW setting and click on “Control Units” rather than “auto scan” and then under “Part” click “drive” I get 7 or more selections to choose from, such as “3 Engine-DME Digital Motor Electronics”, and when I click on any of them I get a “No Communicating” message, saying be sure switch is on, check cables for tester/vehicle connection, battery charged and “4. Verify if the system is configured.”

Don’t know what that last one means, but, again, I’m concerned because the scanner’s failure to recognize my vehicle at the outset might have something to do with this.
Looking for advice on how to clear the “check engine” light. Or whatever.
Appreciate 0