View Single Post
      11-24-2015, 06:33 AM   #14
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
I'm sorry - where on earth have you got this from? As you say, a punctured runflat can be repaired in the exact same way as a conventional tyre/tire. The very same rules apply - ie as long as the puncture is in the tread of the tyre and is more than 5-10mm (this amount does vary between shops) from the edge of the tread it can be repaired. And after it has been repaired it is still a runflat tyre. The repair in the tread of the tyre has absolutely nothing to do with the reinforced sidewall of the tyre which makes a runflat tyre able to be driven on while flat. The only time you cannot (or rather should not) repair and reuse a punctured runflat tyre is when it has been driven dead flat for some distance (and again this distance varies from who you talk to and varies from 5-20km/3-12 miles). A puncture in the tread of a runflat tyre is no more difficult to repair than in a conventional tyre.

Tony
Everything I have said is consistent with what you have just said.

I'm just saying that the physical effort exerted to repair a nail punctured in the tread "seemed" like it was a lot more effort than repairing a standard tire. I was specifically referring to the part where you ream the hole and then file it before plugging.
Appreciate 0