05-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #25
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
There have been some more recent developments and news items with regard to Tesla that may be of interest.

Consumer Reports in its recent tests found significant flaws in the Tesla Model 3 braking distance, ride quality and controls that prevented it from recommending this model. There were positives reported in the range and driving excitement among other areas.

https://jalopnik.com/consumer-report...sla-1826198783
Yes, I've read this as well. As I previously stated, Tesla continues to have Q/C issues especially with respect to new models and this an area they need to address. I think part of the problem is how far above demand is compared to supply. They are under a tremendous amount of pressure to deliver and it seems that they may be "cutting corners" in some aspects.

I think it's interesting that one of your arguments is Tesla's poor quality. The basis of me writing this thread has to do with needing to replace my engine after 6 years/90,000 miles. BMW even extended their warranty for the issue I am experiencing for 7 years/70,000 miles - outside of my window. A base warranty on Tesla battery pack (one could consider this it's engine?) is 8 years/unlimited miles.

They may have some issues with Q/C but at least they stand behind their product better than some brands.

Quote:
A Tesla Model 3 owner clipped a parking sign resulting in a minor dent to a fender. He was shocked to find the repair cost $7000. Whether the high cost is due to the limited experience with similar Tesla repairs or how the Tesla is designed is not clear to me. However, this type of repair experience for a minor collision has the potential to increase insurance costs for other owners of the Tesla Model 3 in the future.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/20...edium=referral
After reading the article and learning that of the $7,000, $5,500 is labor I think it fair to say this is due to the unfamiliarity of this car and probably the other two Tesla models as well. Again, as more are sold, there will be more service needed and more techs trained on them. This will also result in additional charging stations installed throughout the country.

As it is right now, with careful planning, you can drive anywhere you need in one of these vehicles.

Quote:
Elon Musk recently announced a higher performing Model 3 that will sell for $78K. Meanwhile, the base priced $35K Model 3 will not be offered for 3 to 6 months after a 5,000 unit per month manufacturing rate is achieved. This may mean the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit will not be available by the time the base model is available. Musk reported that Tesla would "lose money and die" if it sold the base model earlier. It will be interesting to see how Tesla competes for its future sales when its customers no longer receive the benefit of a substantial federal tax credit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-...18-5?r=UK&IR=T
Agreed. I personally don't think the credit is as big of an incentive to get people to purchase the vehicle. If you have the means to purchase one, you've driven it, and understand what you are buying than the $7,500 is just a nice bonus you can expect to receive next April.

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0