Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviswan View Post
Max well is your feedback on the istep update the same as the OP with respect to suspension comfort?
Not as dramatic but seems to be somewhat improved. Very subjective though and could just be placebo effect. Here were some comments I shared in that other thread:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=19
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=22
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=24

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
... An istep update is akin to reformatting a computer - hence why all of the settings are reset to factory default. It requires the car to be put on a battery charger, along with other procedures, and there is a risk of bricking the car just like any other piece of technology. Hence, most dealers will be hesitant to do this on a whim even if you are willing to pay. If you have an established relationship with your SA and have a good service department, you have a chance of getting it done. However, this isn't something you can just walk in and ask for with success.
As many of the ISTA/P updates contain what BMW must ascertain as important improvements to their total vehicle systems' code, it's tough for me to believe that BMW Dealerships would be scared or worried about providing them for fear of an operating system failure. Seems that we as consumers owning current model line vehicles would want (and have a right to) the most current and improved operating system for our vehicles, and I don't consider it a frivolous request. Understandably, as technology improves one would not expect BMW to keep updating older model lines, just as many digital product companies have a defined span during which updates to firmware and software are provided. I'd be on the phone with BMW NA if I wanted to pay for an approved/sanctioned BMW ISTA update and it was refused by a Dealership. Why produce an important update if it's so dangerous that Svc Ctrs are hesitant to do the install? I can foresee some issues in the future with OTA ISTA updates being problematic, but hopefully one can obtain a download of them OTA then have the option of manually installing when one can attach a trickle charger if that's an important aspect. Aren't similar system updates by Tesla already being done OTA and without Dealer assistance?

Edit: to be clear so there aren't any misconceptions, I'm referencing paying for non-safety-related ISTA updates (BMW already provides those involving safety for free). I am not getting into the debate as to whether all updates (even non-safety-related) should or shouldn't be provided for free. Just indicating IMO if I own a current model line BMW, and a non-safety-related ISTA update is available, that I should have the ability to pay to have it installed and not be bound to the whims of a Dealership denying such.
I'm not debating that dealerships SHOULD do the update, paid or unpaid, but in my experience following this process on the F80s it is difficult, and well documented amongst many BMW models. Most dealers don't give a damn about giving current owners the best possible experience, it's a hassle for them. People need to have realistic expectations.
Appreciate 0