10-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #12
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
I've ran dirt bikes in the past and know of the foam filters, and they were good. But they didn't last long. After a couple years I had to buy new. Also many were oiled. At some of the prices charged for after market filters, this will cost way more than stock paper filters in the long run.
I suspect they fell apart partly from the abuse, heat, and frequent cleaning you had to do, especially on a dirt bike. On my KTM EXC I'm cleaning them 2x a month depending on how many times I ride each month. The solvents that clean the tacky filter oil off has been known to eat these filters, even some say gasoline isn't the best to use. On a car you might clean it once a year.

With an enclosed intake system it's not seeing near the abuse nor heat a dirt bike does. I can't see them wearing out on a car unless they are poorly made. For reference I ran an ARC airbox (UNI filters - open element) on my Evo IX for about 6yrs running multiple track events and 30+ lbs of boost so it got it's fair share of heat being about 12in from the turbo and they were fine the day I sold it.
Appreciate 0