View Single Post
      04-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #42
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

If you get sucked into forever trying to match some level of stuff that others have it will cause you a lot of problems long term. It obviously bothered you when you in laws told you this, maybe they were joking but I would tell them in a nice way that you find it really shallow and prefer to not hear more about it. If I had a son in law I would worry more about him spending too much than to little, an older Honda Civic and paying all his bills would be great in my book.

I drive a 2013 ATS, I like it, I have friends that drive much nicer cars and that is also great for them. I am 50 and hope to be able to retire in the next couple of years (want to be able to, not sure I want to) and new BMW's and my financial plans don't mix. I try to avoid people that are trying to impress me with what they own as I find we really have little in common. I also warned some much younger friends that as they get more money it can be difficult to accidentally be seen as jerks to friends that have less so try to stay away from pointing out the great things you purchase or great vacations.