Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannax3? View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
No, it did not get into that level of detail because I think in a lot of cases it was not at all clear what caused the trunk to open. Accidental key fob presses certainly seem like a more likely culprit and several have reported no further issues after adding a fob cover. I would agree that is probably responsible for the majority of the 30% reported problems.

However, there is clearly also an issue that is not related to the key fob. Given that I live in a very rainy area, coupled with my intent to use automated car washes, that is what is giving me reason to think about a proactive workaround rather than hoping I don't encounter the problem.

Personally I have no interest in using the kick-to-open feature so I might just ask for that to be disabled as a low-impact preventative measure. I guess I may also add a key fob cover just for safety, although I'd rather not add the bulk that comes with that.

HoustonEaDo I tend to agree with you that forums will attract more folks who are looking to troubleshoot a problem, but I also feel like this forum attracts a lot of enthusiasts interested in getting the most from their existing car and researching options for their next one. That is why I'm here for example. I still feel like that 30% reported failure rate is probably not too far from the truth.
Just to note that I live in the same rainy, slushy area, have the kick-to-open feature, which I use a lot, and also have gone thru at least a dozen car washes, and have never had an inadvertent trunk opening. So, at least one case of the feature working without trouble. Also, I use it far more than I expected to.

For the OP, hope our friends at Bellevue BMW get it sorted out.

Max
Good to hear. Thanks Max.
Appreciate 0