03-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #23
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Did your poll differentiate the trunk opening due to faulty sensor vs. inadvertent key fob pressing? My impression after reading most of the posts is that the faulty sensor is a lot less common vs 'butt dialing' the key fob.
No, it did not get into that level of detail because I think in a lot of cases it was not at all clear what caused the trunk to open. Accidental key fob presses certainly seem like a more likely culprit and several have reported no further issues after adding a fob cover. I would agree that is probably responsible for the majority of the 30% reported problems.

However, there is clearly also an issue that is not related to the key fob. Given that I live in a very rainy area, coupled with my intent to use automated car washes, that is what is giving me reason to think about a proactive workaround rather than hoping I don't encounter the problem.

Personally I have no interest in using the kick-to-open feature so I might just ask for that to be disabled as a low-impact preventative measure. I guess I may also add a key fob cover just for safety, although I'd rather not add the bulk that comes with that.

HoustonEaDo I tend to agree with you that forums will attract more folks who are looking to troubleshoot a problem, but I also feel like this forum attracts a lot of enthusiasts interested in getting the most from their existing car and researching options for their next one. That is why I'm here for example. I still feel like that 30% reported failure rate is probably not too far from the truth.
Appreciate 0