06-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d, Boxster GTS (981)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Before the M Town Event this was actually one of my main concerns as well given some of those reviews, but after driving the X3M Competition I almost wonder if they were even driving the same vehicle. My short personal experience with the “Comfort” setting and undertaken on average local roads (without potholes or large uneven grade differences) was completely opposite to that opinion. I felt it was smooth and balanced, with the whole vehicle feeling inter-connected with great sense of the vehicle and it's grasp of the road. Solid, confident, and amazingly responsive. Much improved c/w our G01 M40i yet certainly as 'comfortable' with regards to ride quality if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, disclaimers are rarely attached to these ‘First Reviews’ so readers have no idea about bias or prejudice against (or for) a Mnfr's product or vehicle type (coupe vs SAV as example). Not saying that the reviewer had this bias - they may have actually felt that way about their drive, or maybe the roads they drove were in disrepair (if so, should have been clarified), or perhaps they started out in “Sport+” suspension setting which then clouded their judgement thereafter, or …? But I do wonder if ‘Reviewers’ take the time to study a vehicle’s tech documents to understand settings before they go for their drives. Maybe they do, but if so, it doesn’t show in many of their writings. I have read through the F97/F98 technical documents kindly shared by ynguldyn on 10 Jun 2019 - https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623283 . The main section on suspension systems begins around page 55 of the ST1907 Complete Vehicle pdf and provides an in-depth discussion of how it works and why, and helps one to understand which setting will probably be preferred depending on the results desired. Pages 56 and 57 also show a graphic of the design and a legend explaining the items. Some relevant excerpts are:

“The Electronic Damper Control (EDC) is a variable, electronically controlled shock absorber adjustment system that controls the vertical dynamics. The front axle damper and rear axle damper can be controlled independent of each other. The EDC adapts the damping forces of the shock absorber more or less instantly to the changing road or driving conditions. … [p.59]

The sensors in the vehicle permanently measure: the body and vertical acceleration; the current lateral and longitudinal acceleration; the vehicle speed; and the steering wheel position. Based on this measured data, the M VDP control unit calculates the control commands to be sent to the electromagnetic valves in the shock absorbers for each individual wheel according to the road profile and driving situation. This means that the damping forces will always be applied according to requirements. This improves ride comfort and also increases driving dynamics. This improves the vehicle's: suitability for long-distance journeys; enhanced body stability and agility; and improves driving safety by minimizing wheel load fluctuations and reducing the stopping distance. The Dynamic Damper Control on the F97/F98 offers the options “Comfort”, “Sport” and “Sport+”. All three programs feature M dynamic control on the F97/F98. [p.60]

M drive dynamic control switch, EDC program description- "Comfort" mode on the F97/F98 delivers a distinctly comfortable ride to satisfy any demands for comfort on the part of BMW X3 M or BMW X4 M customers. The basic damper hardness is comfortable without forfeiting safe handling in an emergency (such as during rapid evasive maneuvers); "Sport" supports a demanding M dynamic and sporty driving style with increased basic damper hardness and sufficient remaining comfort (for example on country roads or bumpy racetracks such as the Nürburgring Nordschleife); "Sport+" on the F97/F98 now also means that M dynamic control comes into effect, with the basic shock absorber stiffness being further increased relative to "Normal". It may therefore also be the best selection for the fastest times on different route profiles on very even surfaces, unlike a route profile similar to a "cone-lined slalom".” [p.61]

So I knew going into the test drive exactly what setting I would choose – “Comfort”. Why would I even consider using “Sport+” after understanding the intent and purpose as envisioned by the M Engineering team?

Everyone will need to drive these models to gain a personal feel for all it has to offer, but this suspension question is absolutely a non-issue for me. Looking forward to our X3M Competition.
Thanks for the detailed comparison.
I was getting a bit worried as the reason why I am thinking of getting an X3M over an M3/M5 was family related stuff.
If it were too stiff, then for me X3M wouldn't mean much.

If it's similar to an M40i, I can be happy
Appreciate 2