View Single Post
      01-17-2022, 10:24 PM   #30
typer139
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

Opinions are like Chocolate Starfish's

Okay.. so I have somewhat of an M car history and my wants and needs have changed over the years. When I was younger, I had fully built suspensions that were harsh as F, and on my daily driver. That was 20 years ago and yet I still want a higher level of performance than most people, but now want a more compliant suspension, or at least a setting for it. I've had my 2020 X3M for over 2 years now (on Michelins). On decent roads, I find it acceptable.. on any roads with ruts or lots of sharp expansion joints or transitions, I think it's a little too harsh, as does my family (hence the SUV and not an M3).

It's not fair to say that "it's an M car, so deal with the ride quality".. primarily because if you really were a hardcore M car person, you would scoff at the fact that there's ANY M SUV. It's sacrilege to some, so please don't wrap the M cars in with the M SUV's just because they share the same tuning division.

Second, if you're wanting a true M car and experience, don't buy an SUV, M or not. I've had a few of M "cars".. and agree that the primary buyer of the cars probably wants a more hardcore suspension and ride quality. But, in the world of SUV's, the target buyer probably is NOT the typical hardcore M buyer but someone who wants something with more practicality and the ability to go dust some muscle cars every now and again or do a little canyon carving. Virtually no one needs a track suspension on their M SUV, let's be honest. Enter the need for a more compliant suspension.

As others have mentioned, a magnetic-ride setup could mitigate the concerns of people questioning the harshness of the suspension, yet still deliver 99% of the performance most buyers would need. Set it up so it's teeth-rattling hard in its stiffest setting.

I couldn't agree more that the difference between "Comfort" mode and "Sport +" should be greater, in that comfort should be softer. I feel that in the X3M Comp the difference in suspension modes should be similar to those of the transmission modes. Is it livable?.. yes. Is it ideal?.. no. What's the drawback of having the softer end of the suspension setting more soft.. If you want it firmer, go for Sport+ and keep it there, but currently people that want it softer, don't have that option to make it noticeably softer.

You may be asking.. why didn't I buy an M40i or a standard X3M with the smaller wheels and taller tires? I drove both of those cars and I don't feel that I should give up ride quality to have more power. I could tangibly feel the difference in the non-Comp X3M. The M40i felt like a sporty SUV, questionably deserving of the M part of the M40i. BMW has options lists a mile long and yet I can't get an X3M with the most power and NOT the harshest suspension? I can choose a different sound system, or wood trim, cooled seats, or ACC, but not a different suspension? (asking for a friend). Could they make the standard X3M and the "Competition" be differentiated by the suspension and not power and badging?.. they could. I'd be perfectly happy with an X3M with 500+ horses and a softer suspension. There's a market for both those variants.

My X3M Comp is coming off lease in about 6 months and if the ride quality of the '22 isn't tangibly better (at least in comfort mode), I'll probably be getting an X5 M50i. Less sharp?.. definitely.. more comfortable when I'm not dusting muscle cars.. also, definitely.

Words from a middle aged BMW M owner/fan..

Rich Morgan
2020 X3M Comp, 2016 M4 Convertible (sold), 2013 750Li M-Sport (sold),
2013 JCW Mini Cooper Convertible (sold), 2006 Mini Cooper S (sold), 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible (sold),
2003 M3 (sold)

Last edited by typer139; 01-17-2022 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: updating cars
Appreciate 7
95wildtt868.00
stein_325i25158.50
kzg19691300.50
JaeP63.00