View Single Post
      06-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
KurtP
Rep
Drives: x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingX3 View Post
This was a problem on a couple of cars that I helped add lowering springs. The only fix is to switch to shorter sway bar links. I wonder if the links on the sport suspension are shorter? On some cars the enthusiasts have experimented with different parts to find something that works, but there aren't enough modders playing around with X3s!

Interesting theory. If I'm hearing you right, the sway bar links could be too long, so when the lowered suspension compresses, it rips the bolt head off? I guess I would think that if it was too long, compressing the spring and thereby raising the swaybar mount up would alleviate pressure, not cause it, since the effective distance from sway bar to mount would increase? On the flip side, I can't see droop travel generating enough force to cause this kind of damage.

Im utterly perplexed. I have never ever seen this problem on any car before. Especially with something as mild as an eibach pro kit and bilstein dampers. The height change was negligible. The ride is stiffer, but not noticeably stiffer than factory sport suspension. And as best Ive been able to find, the sway bar and sway bar links part numbers are the same across the range.

Last edited by KurtP; 06-11-2017 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0