04-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #187
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlpower View Post
A vast majority of Corvettes, Porsches, BMWs, etc., are never driven hard. Once in a while a driver will poke the gas and that is the extent of it. They will never care about what so many others are consumed over, such as rigidity, 1/4, 0-60, etc., or what a magazine declares as a winner.

A new Vette is coming. Will I buy one? IDK. Give it a year to iron our any major tweaks and I will look into it as I am looking for a two door this year. But, there are so many nice cars out these days, it is tough to go wrong.

Live you life, not others. Buy for yourself, not for others. And enjoy your car.
I feel the same. Have had tons of car that you can't really explore the limits of on the street.

I could afford to buy quite a few different cars that are 2-3 times the cost of my current C6 when it sold new...well with a little persuasion of the wife.

But I ended up with what I did because the price was right and it performed well enough for me to have some fun when I wanted to. Out of the box and stock, they are pretty impressive IMO for their price point. And my car doesn't sound like a tin can with any rattles.

But just a little bit of money in motor and suspension upgrades makes the car a different animal. It responds so easily to mods thrown at it, and the aftermarket is huge.

The biggest allure to me was that I enjoy wrenching on my cars. With the Corvette I can do that easily and a lot cheaper than what most may think. I can even do my own tuning.

But for around $5K in the mods I mentioned above, I have a car that has 460/465 to the rear wheels...and can also eat corners in the mountains like it's on a set of rails. It has so much more capability in it than I do as a "weekend driver".

Plus I have other hobbies that I enjoy putting money into aside from also liking to be debt free.

Now when the C8 does come out, I will probably gravitate over to a C7. I always buy a generation behind as I find the best deals that way. And for a car that I can pay cash for and not have any debt, it's been a fun ride as I am currently on my 6th one.

Also call me lucky, but I have never had an issue with any of my Corvettes. I have thrashed the shit out of all of them when given the chance, and not once had to worry about any issues or concerns when getting into it for the next drive.