View Single Post
      04-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #184
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
It never seems to measure up with the 911 but because of the price difference the Corvette sales are far ahead of the 911. U.S. sales 2017& 2018 Porsche 18,753 (8970 + 9783), Corvette 43,868 (25079 + 18789) - over double. If the price is close to half the competitor you don't have to match up 1:1. Problem would be if they end up costing close to the same, all the issues that people overlook in the much cheaper Corvette become bigger issues.
That's what I was trying to point out the fact that the Corvette had those "refinement" issue because of the price. Like I said, Corvette recipe has always been affordable performance at the cost of "refinement". My point is with the mid engine Corvette, I am not sure people will over look those things. Also the price I've heard from various sources that it will be around 65K to start. In my opinion, for 65K, you can't make a mid engine with that type of performance unless you will compromise on the quality and I don't mean interior stuffs. I mean quality in term of structural integrity, drive train refinement, and handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Not a reply to your thread but just in general - As a buyer I wouldn't care much that I am slightly slower around an equal track with an equal driver. I have done track days (a tiny portion of the buyers actually do), they don't keep times, I don't win money, there isn't someone with exactly the same ability and in the end 1 second faster around a track doesn't matter at all to me. The never ending discussions on track times are only applicable to the internet, magazines, and car shows.
That was also my point. Everybody knows the Corvette is fast but up to a point, does it really matter if you are going to compromise on refinement, structural integrity issues? If you bought a C7 Z06, does it matter that it is absolutely fast but you can't explore its limits because of its compromising handling characteristics so the car may be fast, but you probably won't have fun driving it.
Appreciate 0