View Single Post
      09-07-2021, 11:36 PM   #10
tarmactrr
Private
Rep
Drives: Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichmond View Post
If your tires go away after only one lap, your starting pressures were likely way too high. Depending on how hard the driver pushes, PS4s on a car of this type will gain anywhere from 4 to 9-10 psi in a 30-minute track session. PS4s (and other similar tires) are best when hot pressures are in the high 30s. So, if you are not already doing it, I suggest the following: start the day with pressures around 30 psi. Measure pressures in each tire immediately after coming off track (i.e., before even taking the helmet off), bleed each down to the target pressure. Rinse, repeat. Different tracks stress different tires, so you will get a feel for what cold pressure at each corner you should use at the start of a day.

Finally, turning off stability control is tempting, but very much not recommended until reaching fairly expert level. Enjoy and be careful.
You can't run PS4's on this car in the high 30's, as you'd roll over the sidewall. my tires were wearing right at the edge of the tread compound and the sidewall running 43psi hot front and 47psi hot rear. Temps were peaking in the 170's at that pressure. I was also running less (cold) pressure on the left side as PIR has mostly right hand corners.

Like I said, I could run in the 1:31's pretty consistently lap after lap, but I could only get enough grip to run a 1.29-1.30 on the very first lap after the warm up lap. After that they just didn't have the extra grip to do that pace.

As for stability control... I ran 4wd sport with both MDM and DSC off, and DSC off was much better. In MDM mode it seemed to overheat the brakes much quicker and was producing slower lap times. Being smooth with DSC off the car was very well balanced with no real scary moments.
Appreciate 0