11-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #56
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Things I learned from watching:

First I learned how to make Jack Daniels and bottle/can coke by watching the 2 hours prior of Ultimate Factories

About the X3 and Spartanburg factory....

- 1 paint line for X3, X5, X6 runs non-stop
- My X3 may do things off road I may not dare try
- 70% of whats built in Spartanburg is exported (I think that was all 3 models not just X3).
- Atleast 1 mile on the odometer came from that 100mph test
- lots of cool stuff about JIT and that there are BMW subcontractors nearby that are part of the production
- I think they managed to show an X3 in every color available
- The chestnut seats are still too red for me (with DSB)

few other observations about the assembly of the body and the painting - amazing processes

overall, very cool show to watch, many of us (atleast in the US) have seen a few shots if the inside of the assembly hall and painting hall from our 3 minute build videos - if not perhaps you've seen one that has been posted.

This show showed us 10x more of the factory, as well as subcontractors. Even the subcontractor making the seats is interesting stuff.

makes me glad I bought the X3 even more, as if driving it doesn't already make me happy I bought it between the build video and the show, I feel like I am experiencing new technology with the X3 purchase than anything w/ any prior car purchase. My X3 is the first car I ever ordered (vs finding it in dealer inventory) - and i expect that to be the norm for me.

i may even watch ultimate factories again - just not the jack daniels segment - once was enough there
Appreciate 0