07-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #40
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Well, you have a lot of different types of people with money. Being in San Francisco and with a lot of tech company billionaires around - they tend to be pretty low key. People like Mark Zuckerberg who wears hoodies and jeans every day and sits in a cubicle with the rest of his people and drives a VW GTI every day. So these people would probably never buy such displays of wealth even though they have the means to.
My unscientific observation is that few newly well off folks are "low key" about much of anything, so taken are they with their success and good fortune. Their ebullience isn't unmerited and more power to them and I wish them much continued success.

As for M.Z. the guy isn't from what anyone would call humble beginnings. Money and the indulgences it can buy aren't new to him at all. His father is a dentist and Mark went to Exeter. M.Z. comes from the land of "old money" and folks who appear as though they are (were) from "old money."

I do agree, however, that there are many understated wealthy folks in San Francisco and the surrounding area. The thing is that American culture today isn't as dressy, structured and formal as it was even some 40 years ago. As a result, most rich folks -- when they aren't engaged in some "rich folks only" extravagant activity -- are going to appear to be low key.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 07-22-2014 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: spelling: aren't should have been "are" in the first sentence
Appreciate 0