08-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #64
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornMfan View Post
Well Dinan replied in another forum thread that they won't be developing any further stages past the stage 1 tune for our cars. Only the X5M, X3M etc. Even though they have the M235i in bigger packages with way more hp/torque. Not sure they real reason...I have a gut feeling that with how underrated the hp/torque numbers from BMW were and the X3M release coming, with the relationship BMW has with Dinan, they told Dinan not to develop our car more so that it wouldn't mess up the X3M sales with the hp/torque numbers being so close. I don't know...but it stinks. I was hoping to add a total of 50-75hp/torque at least...
BMW doesn't have a relationship with Dinan or any aftermarket tuning company for that matter. Some dealers (mind you privately owned) decide to become Dinan approved dealers...remember once you involve BMW NA they could care less about Dinan. Also, it should be noted Steve Dinan is no longer part of Dinan and they were bought out by the same company that owns APR...I suspect their business model has changed a bit.

So with that said I couldn't see BMW taking the time to tell an aftermarket tuning company to not develop their cars. As Dinan themselves say the X3 M40i market is pretty small in the grand scheme of things...I mean how many people here even have wheels, general mods, etc? Although the M40i is new 95% of people aren't modding them...

If you want additional power the B58 engine ECU has finally been cracked (go check out the F30 engine forum) and flash tunes are available producing 2-3X the gains of piggybacks all while being smoother and shifting far better (remember just about every piggyback has had 8AT shifting issues with the B58 - go see the F30 forums for complaints). Actually a full flash tune is far cheaper than this Dinan Stg1 while being superior in every way. This coming from somebody who owns a Dinan B58 tuner...
Appreciate 1