11-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #73
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepersjoey View Post
Push the button. Say "Send text Paul Glasspoole".

(Obviously insert the name...don't send me a text!)

If there are multiple numbers for that person say the number. If it is the second in the list, say "2".

It will ask you to record.

Record your message. Then, stop talking.

It will give you to options. Send Text or Add text.

"send text" will send the text.
"Add text" will get you back to the record and it will append to the end of the previous message.

If, at some point you don't like a word or the whole statement, use the idrive knob to move through the sentence, then, you can add, delete, append, etc. But, I have found it too tricky, so I just start over.

But, the key is:
"send text Paul Glasspoole"
"2"
Dictate
"Send Text"

I love it when driving across country and need to tell people where I am.

Paul
First off, I apologize if I'm here. However, I tried yesterday to get my iPhone X to work with the old-fashioned iDrive texting....and no dice. I have Apple CarPlay available in the car, but even when switching the configuration of the mobile device over to use iDrive and not CarPlay, it tells me that my mobile device is not compatible for this function. I made sure that bluetooth was connected, and not Wi-Fi, but still no luck.

Has anyone else been able to get an iOS device working with iDrive texting when Apple CarPlay is built in the car?