03-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #50
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
He doesn’t even do anything unique. No production quality, has no real driving merit, and his scoring system infuriated me. I still don’t understand why he has as many subscribers and view count as he does.
Totally disagree. Doug has become popular because he's tapped into a niche that nobody else has. We are in an era where most internet car reviews consist of magazine editors taking the car around a track or take the car on the road and complaining about the electronic steering and lack of a 3rd pedal which is nothing you haven't already read about the car in C&D or MotorTrend. They mostly appease the bench racers or the few drivers that actually take their cars to the track. I like Chris Harris but you learn very little about what what it's like to live with the car on a daily basis from his reviews.

Doug resonates the the majority of people that actually buy the cars to use on their daily commute. He brings forth the quirks and features that an owner has to live with on a daily basis that can't be measured by 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. You can learn more about the infotainment systems in most new cars from Doug than you will ever learn from your dealer. That said I don't use his reviews as a guideline for what I look for in a car as I'm a car guy and do a lot of my own research but I do appreciate learning the quirks and hidden features of new and classic vehicles that I never got to own and nobody does this better than Doug. I use his pic as my avatar because I think he's goofy looking and even that plays into why he's entertaining as he knows he's a goof and doesn't take himself that seriously unlike some of these amateur internet car reviewers that are trying to be Chris Harris or Jeremy Clarkson.
Appreciate 1
bmw1racer998.00