View Single Post
      07-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #10
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmircea View Post
11 seconds is like ages in terms of data communication. The protocol that is being used must be not so efficient (probably because of security rules) which is causing this speed.

Basically the App needs to send a single packet with the instruction (say open locks, close locks, flash lights, etc) and wait for the acknowledge coming back from the server.
In data transmissions speeds you will get easily something <100ms for a packet like this to go between your smartphone and the mobile network, then add let's say another 200ms if you have to travel the whole world (let's say you are in US and talking to a server in Germany, and with 200ms I'm being very generous), so that will total 300ms to get the packet from smartphone to the server.
Let's assume that it takes the same amount of time to have the server talking back to the car.
Since this should be a two way trip (for the car acknowledging that execution of the command) the total time to have your App receiving the confirmation should be:
2 * (300 (smartphone -> server) + 300 (server->car) ) = 1200ms =1.2s
And if you command let's say to flash the lights then should flash within 0.6s.

But what we are seeing here is an extra 10s which is protocol inefficiency (or call it security).

I'm seeing the same thing with my car (about 10s) to execute a command.
I agree with this. Since COVID I have not really used the feature at all.

I guess I'm used to things working quickly. Imagine if it took 10 seconds for the keyfob to unlock/lock the doors lol.
Appreciate 0