View Single Post
      05-16-2022, 05:41 PM   #1
mecm1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3 3.0i E83

2005 Climate Control dash vent issue

I just inherited my first BMW, a 2005 X3 E83 (142k miles) and am having climate control issues. I live in a warmer area and the climate control/AC will put out cold air but only from the driver’s side dash vents. This has been mentioned in other posts but have not seen a good resolution. On a 84F day a Temp probe in the driver side door vent will show 48 degrees, the drivers side middle vent will be 54, the passenger side middle vent will be 72 and the passenger side door vent will be 80. This is with the climate control in Auto, recirculate and AC on or with Auto off, manual dash vents, recirculate and AC on. The car has one heat control valve that seems to work fine in Auto in warming the car or in manual in defrost mode and seems to shut off fine for the Driver vents when set to cooling.
The car has a separate AC compressor belt which is in much better shape than the parallel serpentine belt and appears to have been replaced. When the car is idling in the driveway, the passenger side vents will drop about 10 degrees (from above readings) but still remain well above the driver side vents. While driving the temp on the passenger vents goes back up those above. This is repeatable.
Will replace the both belts but would appreciate any other information I should have or suggestions before I do any further work or take it to a shop.
Appreciate 0