View Single Post
      06-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #88
08mojo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTim View Post
Thanks for sharing this! Just bought at 2020 X3M. Was really disappointed when the dealership said BMW makes no tow hitches for M models (of X3 and X5) after the purchase was final.

My question is WHY does BMW not make a hitch only for the M (and M Competition) when they do for every other X3 model? You can see this on BMWUSA.com. Trailer hitch disappears from options any model above X3 M40i

I speculate two options. One, they don't foresee enough demand from performance enthusiasts who'd pay extra for an M model to want to two things. Or, two, there's something different about the M (transmission perhaps?) that BMW doesn't think M's should be used for towing.

If BMW simply doesn't think they'd sell enough to make it worth offering, that's fine. My concern is if they have a specific reason for not offering hitches on models above the M40i trim and I'm circumnavigating a valid reason for not towing with my M with an after-market hitch. If there is a reason, I'd guess it was related to the M transmission perhaps being different from the base transmission somehow.

Anyway, bottom line, I'd go with this hidden option over BMW ugly factory hitch any day. But I'm curious to know why there is no factory hitch option for the M before I slap one on aftermarket and throw 4000 pounds back there.

Those of you who installed it, did you have the dealership re-program your transmission for towing? If so, did the dealership express any concerns?
As stated above, the Euro x3m has the option for a tow package. So, yes, it can tow. The retractable hitches are not approved in the US, couldn't tell you why.

I do have a stealth hitch, but I only use it for a bike rack, so no towing. I wouldn't think twice about towing with the X3M if needed, though.
Appreciate 0