View Single Post
      02-07-2016, 01:22 AM   #60
dekodan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

Garage List
Thanks for the write up - my experience and useful info

Excellent write up and follow-up information.

My experience was the following:

By and large, it went well and without major issues.

I did not remove the EHbrake simultaneously on both sides as I had no practical way to jack both sides of the car. When the EHbrake assembly came off, the car immediately triggered a warning that the EHbrake had an issue and the dash lit up yellow. I thought this would be a problem once the job was done as some have said. This did not turn out to be the case. As soon as everything was back together, I pushed the start button once, cycled the EHbrake a few times and all was perfect.

Had some trouble getting the rotors off and and bolts from the caliper glide assembly. I live in Quebec and we have salted roads in winter and therefore, some corrosion - to say the least. WD40 sprayed to penetrate, waited a few minutes and tried again. All good and no more issue. I recommend some penetrating lubricant.

My wear sensor was in great shape. I reused it and no problem at all.

Since no one mentioned torque settings, I went with tight enough for the bolts (T30) on the EHbrake. The caliper slides are bolted with bolts that came with the pads. They are covered in LOC-Tite. Once the 13mm and 15mm are tight against each other, that's it. The caliper glide assembly has the 16mm bolts. I did search for the torque on this because it does need to be tight without stripping. The setting is 81 ft-lbs. - worked like a charm.

I used Permatex Disc Brake Quiet on the backs of the pads. Let it set up for several minutes, the longer the better. It tacks up well that way. Do not apply anything in the pad sliders. Clean those up with a steel wire brush.

I used Permatex Copper Anti-Seize on the hub before installing the new rotors. I also used it on the rotor hubs before replacing the wheels. This is for anti-seizing and easy disassembly in the future.

I finally reset the rear brake timer in the dash using the method already described in this thread.

Tomorrow I will drive the car to do a break-in procedure. This is what I do:

Step 1: Make 10 stops from 30 mph (50 kph) down to about 10 mph (15 kph) using moderate braking pressure and allowing approximately 30 seconds between stops for cooling. Do not drag your pads during these stops. After the 10th stop, allow 15 minutes for your braking system to cool down.

Step 2: Make 5 consecutive stops from 50 mph (80 kph) down to 10 mph (15 kph). After the 5th stop, allow your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes. This completes the break-in of your pads to the rotor surface.

That's it!

Parts and supplies in Canadian Dollars (Jan 2016)

Parts purchased at autopartsway.ca
Manufacturer: Zimmermann Rotors SKU: ZIC1918578 2X $100.42 = $200.84
Manufacturer: Pagid Brake Pad set SKU: PAG1899096 1X $97.76

Parts purchased at BMW
Inner hex bolt M8X14 (Rotor bolt) part 34211161806 approx $2.50 each (2 required)

Supplies from Canadian Tire
Permatex Disc Brake Quiet #38-1400-4 $11.99
Parmatex Copper Anti-Seize #38-3776-8 $16.99

Last edited by dekodan; 02-07-2016 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Added parts/supplies, cleaned up text
Appreciate 0