View Single Post
      03-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #10
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

If you are talking about it sitting for a couple of weeks, it should be no issue. But to ease your mind (1) go for a nice drive until all of your temps (water and oil) are at normal operating temperatures every week or so, or (2) get a well reviewed battery maintainer like a CTEK https://insight.daumphotography.com/...e-out-of-this/. Be sure that the maintainer has an AGM setting, since that cycle is a bit different than standard lead acid car batteries. Our X3s come with a AGM from the factory. Use the positive connector along with the ground stud, under the hood (passenger side of the engine compartment).
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  129.8 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  101.5 KB

You can safely leave the CTEK maintainer connected for extended periods of time.

FWIW, what I would not do is simply idle the engine. This is really bad for the engine since typically the oil and coolant won't get hot enough, and you will end up with condensate and acids that don't burn off (as they do when you reach operating temperatures) and also remain in your oil and throughout your exhaust system.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars

Last edited by JDsX3; 03-28-2020 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 1