View Single Post
      07-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #47
jxterma
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
I just read your other thread. I suggest that you use a tire chock on the front to secure the vehicle. Close the door , remove both side rear EHB connectors at once. ( the car senses the brake isn't on and tries to engage it sometimes). Reconfirmed that you have set the T45 EHB portion correctly. ( if tightened instead of loosened the electronic motor cannot ever lock the brakes) . Then reconnect the connectors. Quickly get back in the car and press the pedal a few times to set the caliper . This makes the pads set against the rotor. Now try to engage the hand brake with or without the car on. I really don't think it matters. It should rotate the motor and lock after a few seconds.

What i think happened is that since the pads were not seated yet, the motor rotated the assembly multiple times until it mechanically stopped and could not go anymore. Then it gave you the error.
If you do all the above and still nothing I would suggest unplugging the battery.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately still no luck. Confirmed again the slave portion of EHB was still in loose position all the way(with T45) and piston could be pushed back. In fact the EHB rotor never tried to wind although indeed periodic hand brake checking happened as I saw the warning light comes on every few minutes.
I tried again with different permutation of the following:
-Disconnected both rear motor connectors at the same time.
-Waited for the dash lights to go off.
-A few minutes later yellow light showed on dash with ding sound for parking brake malfunction.
-Reconnected connectors both at the same time.
-Pumped the brake and pulled hand brake.
-seat-belt on, doors closed and power on
-seat-belt on, doors closed and power off

Also disconnecting battery did not help. My guess if the malfunction warning was on for a long time, EHB rotor will not re-wind to avoid damaging the gear or lock the wheels if engaged?
I will take the car to local shop and hopefully it just needs a clear-and-reset. (Now I am getting paranoid if I have hardware failure)
Thanks again for the help and original post is awesome. Only I was supposed to follow it carefully.
Appreciate 0