View Single Post
      09-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #16
TransferCaseActuator
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaeastKTM View Post
Yes Indy specifically reset it. No noticable difference.
Unfortunately the t-case is likely needing a rebuild since issues not fully resolved.
Seems to happen more when long drives and everything gets nice and hot, for example long highway drive then when you get off the Hwy and start doing some tighter turns in a parking lot or what not it still has intermittent chunking .
I knew this getting the car that e83 xdrive has issues just was hoping further down the line.
I’m working on finding a used t-case to rebuild in the meantime.
Forgot to update about my latest findings...

After replacing the chewed black gear I had exactly the same symptoms - when engine reached operational temperatures, then on sharp, slow turns there was this chunking coming from rear. This issue never happened when engine was cold.

In my case the problem turned out to be that the white gear in transfer case actuator motor had a micro crack. My guess is that once transfer case actuator motor heats up from engine, then the white gear becomes softer and this crack in white gear suddenly decouples it from the black gear. Probably this caused occasional teeth skipping that was enough to kick xdrive out of sync.

As a quick hack, I epoxied together the black and white gears. The chunking went away completely. This quite reliably proves that there was decoupling between these two gears.

Then I bought brand new white gear and the chunking has not returned since then even with hot engine. Been around 1000 miles.

So the morale is - don't ignore the micro cracks on the white gear!!! It is better to replace both gears at the same time.

Last edited by TransferCaseActuator; 09-13-2019 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0