03-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #21
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Quick question, and flame suit on ...

Would it be wise to execute and ATF maintenance in two phases?

Phase 1: Drain and refill with the same ATF quantity, keep original pan in place.

Phase 2: Come back 1-2 weeks later. Replace pan/embedded filter. Do proper refill procedure, including reaching recommended operating temp to adjust ATF level acurately.

For phase 1, I have some left over Dexron-6 ATF fluid left at home.
For phase 2, I would use better quality such as Redline D6 ATF (as per recommendation in RL application guide). Lots of folks swear by authentic ZF or Ravenol ATF at $25/liter ...
Best feedback I can provide is to make sure that whatever fluid you are using meets ZF Lifeguard 8 standard. With that, it should matter that much what brand fluid you use.

If you are doing this DIY, I'd suggest simply following normal procedure. If you are concerned about the fact that a lot of the original, dirty ATF does not get drained from the system on a standard ATF change, then I would suggest getting a good Indy shop to flush the system before they replace your oil pan and filter assembly.

Many people will tell you that, if you flush the system, the transmission will fail right after that. That is not the case.
Appreciate 1