02-21-2024, 12:50 PM   #998
calucb05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M-Sport

Garage List
G01 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
Resurrecting this thread in the hopes it helps others. I have an early build '18 M40i and experienced this same issue. Same details as others have mentioned above. Acceleration between 50-60mph caused an annoying humming/vibrating feel in the steering wheel. Took car in for an oil change Dec '22 and paid $300 for a diagnostic test to be told what I was experiencing was normal by the shop Foreman after going on a test ride. Fast forward to Dec '23, took car in for another oil change, brought issue up again and this time new shop Foreman agreed something was off. Sent him all the information from this forum and we did a weight load test which decreased the vibration. Had the rear output shafts replaced and the vibration is finally gone. It also helped that my loaner was an X3 with no vibration issues to easily compare/contrast.

BMW NA replaced everything at no cost as a one time courtesy. My car is out of the original manufacture warranty which makes me think BMW knows about the issue, but it isn't wide scale enough to do a recall. The new shop foreman said he's experienced this only once with another X3. All in all, I'm glad this was done as I was about to give up and live with the vibration, but now that it's gone I can't imagine ever going back to it, it was a pain especially driving on 55mph roads with cruise control on.

Moral of the story - this is not normal, be persistent with the shop Foreman, show them all documentation from this forum and insist they replace the rear output shafts if you have this issue.

Car is an early build 2018 M40i w/52K miles. Vibrations started at around 30K miles.
Appreciate 0