View Single Post
      11-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #5
newbimmerguy
Rep
Drives: Rollinkanardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Hi Adam,

I'm with you. I thought almost the exact same. TU1 = Technical Update 1. I posted stuff earlier in various forums over past few months.. but I was wrong. The 335 hp version is used in the Supra. Tear down video shows it features the integrated exhaust header. Cylinder head has only two exhaust ports; these two ports drive the twin scroll turbo.

The MY2020 X3/X4 M40i feature the B58M30O1. It absolutely does NOT have an integrated exhaust header. When I received my 2020 X3 M40i a few weeks ago, I went to make doubly sure. It's at dealer now. I will take a pic when I get it back (tomorrow). I am perfectly OK with external header - seams easier to fix. The B58 external exhaust header is an interesting 3 piece system that splits airflow for the twin scroll turbo. I think it's kind of pretty.

There is lots of info out there, much of it is conflicting. This is pretty good (but list 340 HP for ML engine.: https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/31/b...88-horsepower/

I have also read that the B58 features coolant cooled turbo. Teardown video of Supra version shows that version does NOT cool with engine coolant - only oil. I would really like to verify if the previous version and / or updated 382 HP version actually have this cooling feature. I love the idea of liquid-cooled turbo. haven't yet found a teardown.

Pasting pick of B58B30M1 382hp and video of 335hp version tear down.

Supra engine teardown:

You're the first person who has been able to definitively say either way whether the new TU1 382 hp B58 in the 2020 G01/G02 M40is have the integrated hedifold or not. -I fully expected them to do so, but I guess the Supra "C" engine really is going to remain its own strange beast.

So strange to see them move towards the hedifold and back again...

Adam
Appreciate 0