sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerguy View Post
Way more than 2 versions already.

-Based upon the TU1 PDF that got leaked, I believe that all engines ending in "01" include the hedifold. The same document hinted that there's a lower power version and a higher power version that has improved exhaust ports in the head. (Might be the difference between the C30O1 and the B30O1...)

That's my best guess. I'd LOVE to see whether the 2020 X3 / X4 M40is have a head-to-turbo manifold that includes 2 ports or 6 ports. -Sinbad, you've got a 2020 X3 M40i -does the manifold have 2 ports or 6 where it attaches to the head?

Hi Adam,

I'm with you. I thought almost the exact same. TU1 = Technical Update 1. I posted stuff earlier in various forums over past few months.. but I was wrong. The 335 hp version is used in the Supra. Tear down video shows it features the integrated exhaust header. Cylinder head has only two exhaust ports; these two ports drive the twin scroll turbo.

The MY2020 X3/X4 M40i feature the B58M30O1. It absolutely does NOT have an integrated exhaust header. When I received my 2020 X3 M40i a few weeks ago, I went to make doubly sure. It's at dealer now. I will take a pic when I get it back (tomorrow). I am perfectly OK with external header - seams easier to fix. The B58 external exhaust header is an interesting 3 piece system that splits airflow for the twin scroll turbo. I think it's kind of pretty.

There is lots of info out there, much of it is conflicting. This is pretty good (but list 340 HP for ML engine.: https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/31/b...88-horsepower/

I have also read that the B58 features coolant cooled turbo. Teardown video of Supra version shows that version does NOT cool with engine coolant - only oil. I would really like to verify if previous version and / or updated 382 HP version actually have this cooling feature. I love the idea of liquid cooled turbo. haven't yet found a teardown.

Pasting pick of B58B30M1 382hp and video of 335hp version tear down.

Supra engine teardown:
Attached Images