10-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
My guess is the tire had been driven on w/o proper (or any) inflation and the internal structure has finally given way, failed; maybe by prior owner? We can't know for certain.

I have never owned a BMW under any kind of warranty but I would expect the Dealership would provide a new tire at not cost...and it would seem prudent to have the other 3 tires inspected.

Good Luck/Bill
THIS!!!!!

That's why nobody will EVER repair run flats. A run flat tire once driven with no air or under-inflated will have the structure damaged. No matter the distance driven. The max distance they say is 50Km or so, at which point they will probably disintegrate like the tire in your pic.
Thing is, if you get a nail on the driving surface, and you don't lose much air (like only couple psi) you could repair it. Problem is finding the shop. Or you could repair yourself. If the pressure drops too low, then instead of the air holding the tire, it will be the sidewalls inner structure, which is good to only drive to a shop and replace the tire. A full rotation of a RFT without air with the full vehicle load = compromised sidewall inner structure.
This is why the shops don't repair them, because they cannot trust a client telling them for example: "I just noticed the tire is low (which you can't even if there is no air in it - RFT) and prior to driving I filled it with air to come to your shop and fix that nail damage". If they fix it and the tire breaks down while driving, and God forbid something happens, they are on the hook.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0