View Single Post
      04-26-2024, 11:25 AM   #16
E36M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, '14 335i, '12 X3 35i

I own a 2012 X3 35i. You need to get a thorough PPI with someone who knows these vehicles. Things I would want to know:

- Has the valve cover been replaced yet? If not it needs to be as the PCV diaphragms go bad in them and oil gets into your intake

- Has the transfer case, differential and transmission fluids been changed? The transfer case fluid if not changed wears a thrust bearing inside the case and can create a noise at this mileage if it wasn’t maintained.

- When was the oil filter housing gasket and oil thermostat gasket changed? Common leak points on these.

- Has the intake manifold to intercooler pipe been replaced? They always break

- Have the belt, tensioner and idler pulley been replaced?

- Have the lower control arms with the large rubber thrust bushing been replaced along with the lower ball joint at the hub? If not plan on having to do this.

- Has the radiator overflow ball, the small plastic line leading to it and the level indicator in the bottom of it been replaced?

- Last time the water pump and thermostat was changed as they last about 60k miles

- Has the oil pan gasket and oil level sensor gasket been changed recently? If not it’s due and is not an insignificant job.

- Has the Mickey Mouse hose been replaced? It’s a common failure point and will lead to loosing all coolant.

If these items have not been done recently you must set aside a decent amount to get them done or do it yourself. It’s a great driving vehicle but requires you stay on top of things. In addition to the above I’ve also had to walnut blast the intake valves, replace the radiator, A/C compressor, 1 faulty injector, all ignition coils, turbo drain line, replace the transmission to radiator heat exchanger that mounts to the shroud as it was leaking, wastegate solenoid and the rubber lines with silicon and the main hose from the vacuum pump as it was split leading to a loss of vacuum that keeps the wastegate shut to build turbo boost. Of course this is in addition to normal maintenance like brakes, coolant, oil, brake fluid changes and spark plugs.

BTW mine is at 175k.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma810.50