2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
[BMW] needs a car that can make people think twice when deciding between a BMW BEV and a Tesla.
If BMW (or any manufacturer) brings a BEV to market; the product needs to win over people whom are indifferent to the powertrain, and perhaps never considered a BEV until they walked into the dealer. In other words, it has to be a better choice than all the other options on the lot. To the vast-majority of buyers; BEVs aren't just competing against BEVs... They're competing against everything available.

In this way specifically, I think BEVs produced by legacy manufacturers have a more difficult time winning shoppers' "dollars available to buy." The iX3 has to compete against the X3 only feet away. When you're at a Tesla dealer, you're in a BEV bubble... you likely had some awareness of BEVs before you ever talked to a Tesla salesperson... and that Tesla salesperson has an absolute EV bias. Take it from a career salesperson, selling a single technology is a much easier sales pitch. The BMW salesperson has to demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of both platforms. Much tougher for the not only the salesperson, but the BEV.